[RC5] Updated Windows NT Alpha and OpenVMS Client

Mike Silbersack silby at execpc.com
Sun Jul 26 16:31:49 EDT 1998

On Sun, 26 Jul 1998 08:22:54 -0400 (EDT), Ed Wensell III aka THE
StormRaiser wrote:

>Better yet.. Why does the Intel CLI client emulated under FX!32 on an Alpha NT
>box run RC5 faster than the native Alpha NT CLI client on the same box? The
>excuse for the slow speeds on all Alphas is that it lacks a certain processor
>directive that the Intels posses (check out their FAQ). I "think" FX!32 proves
>there might be room for optimization on NT.

>Until soon...
>Ed Wensell III
>Systems and Operations Support, Pellissippi State
>http://www.pstcc.cc.tn.us/departments/sos

Well, most of the reason it's so slow is that there's no asm core for
it.  You may remember that the x86 cores were much slower at one time,
but due to the work of remi guyomarch and others, they have increased
greatly in speed over the last year.  Dan Oetting's work on the PPC has
seen similar improvements, and Katsuomi Hamajima's work on the HPPA asm
cores has caused a great increase in the keyrate for hpux boxes.

Basically, what I'm saying is that if some alpha owner can go to
http://altern.com/rguyom/, modify some rc5 core and make it faster,
please do so.  The cores don't improve themselves.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack
silby at execpc.com
Distributed.Net Tech Support

We cracked RC5-56.  We cracked DES.  Can you help us with RC5-64?
Put your idle CPU to work:  Add it to the world's LARGEST computer.
http://www.distributed.net/

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net