[RC5] d.net Pride

John Campbell jcampbel at lynn.ci-n.com
Mon Jul 27 14:34:26 EDT 1998

On Sun, 26 Jul 1998, Eric Wikman wrote:

> NOTE - these statistics are made with the linear equation,
> exponential growth is much more likely.  However the numbers
> achieved with the exponential equation appear unrealistic.  So I do
> believe that we will actually hit all three targets, but using the above
> figures it gives us a strong goal to try to sign up more new
> members.

	The numbers for the exponential equations may look unrealistic, but
it looks like the time-to-completion for even the most optimistic of those
curves keeps dropping with every recalculation. That means (someone correct
me if I'm wrong, statistics was never my strong suit) that we're running
ahead of even that curve. So, we're on target for those unrealistic
numbers... the only question is how long we can sustain the current growth
rates. The curve'll flatten out eventually, of course, as we approach
saturation. It's just a matter of whether that will be at 1%, 10% or 100% of
the world's computing power...

	Has anyone bothered to calculate how long it will be, at the
current rate of growth, before there's a d.net client on every computer in
the world?

---
John Campbell
jcampbel at lynn.ci-n.com

QotD:  Lottery (n.):  A tax on people who are bad at math.
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net