[RC5] [RC5-Mac] the DEATH of d.net?

A. J. Clark ajclark at usa.net
Mon Jul 27 17:30:47 EDT 1998

Greg Delisle wrote:

> Indeed, d.net is not immune to Moore's Law, but it *is* causing us to be
> outpaced, and I'll tell you how. Many of the machines on d.net are "old"
> machines that gain their strength in numbers. Vast farms of Pentium 100s,
> 68k Macs and so on. These machines are not going to be upgraded. New

How does this cause us to be outpaced?  Not only does Moore's Law apply
to the D.Net machines (we'd have at -least- the average number of people
upgrading their equipment or purchasing new, faster equipment), but a
lot of the older machines are kept around as well to do nothing more
than crack blocks.  Where the machine might become useless for running
Lose2000, it can still crack blocks.

So we have the old machines in ADDITION to Moore's Law recipients, the
upgrades and the new machines.  Seems to work in our advantage, IMHO.

> machines will be *added* to d.net, but the existing processor base will not
> upgrade. That means that our acceleration curve is less than exponential,

I don't understand your point here - why won't the existing processor
base upgrade?  I'd bet that D.Net has more technophiles on it than
average who are upgrading and/or getting new machines.  I could be
wrong, but I'd like to see some numbers that suggest D.Net machines are
being upgraded LESS than any national average.

> until one figures in the rate at which new participants are added. It is my
> bald assertion that the rate of new participants will slow, eventually to
> become equal to the number that leave the project, and perhaps even dipping
> below it, in which case d.net will shrink. At that point, our acceleration
> will be linear at best, while Moore's Law will continue to help the
> competition at a faster rate than it helps us.

I doubt that D.Net will shrink any time in the near future, unless D.Net
manages to foul things up on a grand scale, since people like myself are
interested in helping get the distributed processing power as large as
possible.  I'm always trying to recruit more people and machines into
the effort, as I hope it will have a pyramid effect of sorts.  I believe
that others must be doing it as well, otherwise d.net would not be
growing.

Regardless, Moore's Law doesn't apply to how many machines we have in
the effort, it has to do with the growth rate of technology.  Trying to
say that the growing rate of technology doesn't affect D.Net, or doesn't
affect it to the degree it affects "other people", is like saying that
cracking RC5-64 is impossible.

--
Adam Clark, MacTalk Radio Show Host.

Keep informed with the MacTalk Internet Radio Show!
                                        http://www.machome.com/mactalk
Be a part of the fastest distributed computer on earth!
                                        http://www.distributed.net/rc5
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net