[RC5] Re: rc5-digest V1 #223

RZG gevaryah at netaxs.com
Tue Jul 28 14:09:21 EDT 1998

Brice D. Fleckenstein wrote:

> > So I was wondering if anyone had some clues for using apm with linux and
> > have it not effect the client so much...
>
>  Don't.
>
>  Setterm -blank 60 (or shorter if you prefer) will save almost as much
> power as APM does on the monitor (*AS* much if you don't have a "green"
> monitor), and turning your hard drive off ESPECIALLY on a PII (which
> completes blocks prety quickly even at 2^31 blocks) is NOT gonna work
> very well anyway 'cause the CPU access the HD too often for saving and
> grabbing new blocks.

Linux supports APM screen blanking via setterm too, you can do "setterm
-blank 60 -powersave on" to have it blank the screen into the suspend
mode, or "setterm -blank 60 -powersave powerdown" to have it turn the
monitor off. (The second, however, requires a fairly recent version of
setterm.)

The linux kernel and update tend to be quite unfriendly to spinning down
disks, there are replacement updates (eg:
http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/ulrich/linux/mobile-update.tgz) that
adds support for these disks, flushing data to disk only when there is
other disk activity.

--RZG
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net