[RC5] Re: rc5-digest V1 #225 (LONG reply)

gindrup at okway.okstate.edu gindrup at okway.okstate.edu
Tue Jul 28 18:09:28 EDT 1998

     I don't *think* this got brought back up.  Given how much you were
     addressing though, I certainly understand.

     Something I do want to say, though, is that *I* work at a research
     institution (a State University).  None of our hardware ever leaves
     unless it breaks.  We still have IBM PC/ATs in use as (small) file
     servers.  Until they "throw a rod" hey aren't going anywhere and so
     they can provide a low-speed substrate to the D.Net numbers.

     Every one of the machines in my effort has the client.  Unless there
     is a compelling reason to remove it, they will continue to do so
     even when they move into my private distributed administration
     computation farm.  (Okay, I'm *really* a distributed computing
     geek...)  These machines will *never* go away and they will always
     be running the client.  I had a largish array of network-less i386's
     that I was Nike-netting until trying to keep up with the keyspace
     openings and closings was making their contribution redundant.

     My understanding, from reading the lists, is that there are many
     individual hobbyists out there who are tryying to have *every*
     machine in their house cracking keys.  Even that old Timex-Sinclair
     ZX-80.  People have wanted HP and TI calculator clients as well as
     Palm Pilot clients.  The participants seem to be willing to keep as
     much as possible in the effort.

     In this way, the D.Net effort is very "conservative".  Clients join
     in, but they never seem to leave.

     Further, these individuals tend to be the sort who are always
     upgrading this part or that part of their machines so that there is
     a long inheritance graph of "old" hardware in their houses from
     which to make "Frankenstein computers" as one of my (participant)
     friends describes it.

     I have no reason to believe that *any* i386 or better hardware is
     ever thrown away by anyone -- or at least any of the D.Net
     die-hard-types.

     Further, these are the people whose machines most smoothly follow
     Moore's Law because they are always upgrading this little piece or
     that little piece.  Their primary computers never lag too far
     behind.  All of their secondary computers have the same property as
     they march forward through the replaced hardware pile...
            -- Eric Gindrup ! gindrup at okway.okstate.edu