[RC5] Re: rc5-digest V1 #225

Paul Turpie turpie at pemail.net
Wed Jul 29 15:47:54 EDT 1998

Okay there's been a small debate as to whether Moore's law would
affect d.net's relative growth because of our older hardware not
being upgraded, so I've created a rough table to see how it might
affect us.
I've made the following assumptions:
    Number of human participants remains static.
    Computing grunt doubles in each generation (18 months under Moore's Law)
    Older Hardware continues to be used for the project.
    The same amount of hardware is added to the project each generation.

GENERATION GRUNT   TOTAL INCREASE
1            100     100   -
2            200     300  300%
3            400     700  233%
4            800    1500  214%
5           1600    3100  207%
6           3200    6300  203%
7           6400   12700  202%
8          12800   25500  201%
9          25600   51100  200%
10         51200  102300  200%
11        102400  204700  200%
12        204800  409500  200%
13        409600  819100  200%
14        819200 1638300  200%
15       1638400 3276700  200%
GRUNT - is the computing power of each generation
TOTAL - is GRUNT of the current generation plus all
previous generations.

So according to this table our computing power will increase in
line with Moore's law.

p.s. Please feel free to shoot my ideas down in flames where applicable.

Paul Turpie
System Administrator
Brian Dunn Bendigo
Email Personal: turpie at pemail.net