[RC5] An idea for making our point about RC5-56

Jeffrey William Baker jwb at tamu.edu
Thu Jul 30 08:14:11 EDT 1998

Hi all,

An earlier post indicated that we might be doing more harm than good by
showing just how long it takes to crack RC5-64.  Since 56-bit is
currently the highest exportable system, I have an idea:  why don't we
just crack RC5-56 over and over again?

By my calculations, we could exhaust an RC5-56 keyspace every month.  We
could plot our progress to estimate when we could crack arbitrary RC5-56
messages in 1 day.  Then our message could be that RC5-56 has a useful
lifetime of only x years!

Just a thought, let me know what you think.

Jeffrey
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net