[RC5] Branching, Deep Crack, hardware RC5, & projects

Stephen Foskett sfoskett at concentric.net
Thu Jul 30 10:11:54 EDT 1998

At 09:06 AM 7/29/98 -0400, Chris Riley wrote:
>I'm not suggesting to abandon d.net, but at least talk about the
>ramifications of spending X years on the project -- on the plus side doing
>it: keeps to group together until v3, gives groups like EFF someone to aim
>at, for the technically minded shows the flaws since they are aware of the
>issues.  However it *will be* twisted for other people's purposes when 64
>is cracked, how should d.net react?  What steps can d.net take to help
>minimize the opportunity to have the results used this way?  Comments?

I agree about the twisting of the facts.  It really bothered me that the
FBI would use d.net to prove how secure DES is!

Get this:  The July 20 issue of Network World has a piece on the EFF Deep
Crack program.  It says they did it "...to prove that supercomputer
technology is all too easily available..."
Can you believe that statement?  No mention of encryption security at all!

Stephen
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net