[RC5] Branching, Deep Crack, hardware RC5, & projects

Christopher Hicks chicks at chicks.net
Thu Jul 30 23:54:48 EDT 1998

On Thu, 30 Jul 1998, Steve Bird wrote:
> Considering that most of the US's foreign rivals reside in Oil-rich
> countries, it stands to reason that they would be able to afford MANY
> $250K machines to break encryption codes.

But that was for the FIRST machine.  I believe subsequent machines are
supposed to cost around $30k.  So, spending half a million dollars would
get you approximately 10 times the computing power of a mere quarter mil.
It keeps going linearly from there.  But it's not uncommon to see a
computer project in the Fortune 500 cost over a million dollars.  They
could build about 30 deep cracks for that amount.  So for less than $2
million you could crack full 56-bit DES once an hour or 8766 times per
year.  It wouldn't surpise me if someone other than the NSA or EFF had
already done this.  (You don't see their achievements in the same category
often.)

</chris>
--
                    load average: 1.00, 1.00, 1.00