[RC5] Solutions for a faster DES-II-3

IKoulchine at aol.com IKoulchine at aol.com
Fri Jul 31 12:59:34 EDT 1998

In a message dated 7/31/98 12:48:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
jdoire at cslo.consultronics.on.ca writes:

> T-1min, the clients stop
>  cracking RC5, and start to ask for the DES encrypted message.
And what happens? Everyone starts asking for the message at the same moment.
Result? The servers are completely overloaded(we would have what, 30000+
computers trying to get the message simultaneously?) and we are looking at a
potential crash that would delay us even longer. I'm no expert on this, but as
far as I know, the way it is now is at least the clients aren't all trying to
retrieve the blocks at once and the servers have a chance of surviving.
Given the number of machines working on this, personally, I don't think it's
possible to completely switch projects in less than a day unles someone can
come up with something completely new, and even then it'd probably still take
5 hours or so.
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net