[RC5] Effective keyrate

gindrup at okway.okstate.edu gindrup at okway.okstate.edu
Mon Jun 1 18:46:15 EDT 1998

     For those for whom the RC5-64 keyspace numbers are too large to
     really contemplate, ...

     We've (right this instant where I am) completed 1.1035% of the
     keyspace, or 758,349,094 blocks.  An RC5-56 keyspace is only
     268,435,456 blocks.  So, altogether, we've effectively completely
     exhausted 2.8 entire RC5-56 keyspaces.

     In the seven months since RC5-56 was cracked (in about 7 months),
     we've done roughly 8.1 times as much work (on just RC5-64, not
     including DES-II).

     If we can maintain the level of recruitment and interest building
     that we've had for the past 7 months (or possible manage even more
     so), then, can we expect another growth of 8 times in the next 7
     months?  (Probably not.)  But, if we could just triple it, then we
     would have made the first (synthetic and projected) 10TFlops machine
     ever.

     Not that that number really means anything.  Unless and until we run
     floating point material on the machine we don't know what it can
     really do.

     Anyway...  So in the past 7 months, we've done a lot more than in
     the previous 7 months.  I wish computer software development had our
     rate of growth.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net