[RC5] Putting Postscript printers to work

Nick 'SOL' Schmitt schmitt at suba.com
Tue Jun 2 23:21:48 EDT 1998

In my experience with postscript printers, there are three types.

Large RIPS that are busy 101% of the time.  If anyone tried to run
something that would slow the RIP the production manager would kill them.

Office printers that slammed 50% of the time and idle the rest.

Home printers that are off 95% of the time.

The high-end machines could really make a dent, but they are just too
expensive to have doing anything other than imaging.  The home printers are
underpowered and off most of the time.

That leaves the Office printer.  There aren't a ton of them when you
compare the number to systems, but most have good processors, and time to
run.