[RC5] Differing Key Rates

Justin Cave jocave at MIT.EDU
Thu Jun 4 01:24:47 EDT 1998

At 06:48 AM 6/3/98 -0700, Declan Costello wrote
| Hi,  I am running th RC5 client on my work Win-NT machine.  When I
look at
| my stats, I see that there are widly different
| amounts of blocks processed.  I understand why these can change,
depening on
| what I am working on, but for instance on Sunday last I got about 106
| blocks, on Monday I got only 60 odd - And Monday was a bank holiday
here in
| Ireland, so there was no one using my system.

What's probably happening is that you're buffering, say 25 blocks at
a time on average.  If your computer cracks 78 blocks a day, it will
report either 3 or 4 times a day.  On days that it reports 3 time,
you'll submit about 75 blocks.  On days it submits 4 times, about 100
blocks.  Unless you're requesting 2^28 blocks, you get additional
variability because you may get sent smaller blocks.  Thus, even if
your machine's load doesn't change day-to-day, your stats may.be
quite different.

Also, sometimes, there is a lag between proxies and the main server.
Proxies sometimes go down and hold their blocks for a few hours.

Either of these phenomenon tend to cause relatively large swings in
the stats from day to day, since a deficiency one day results in a
surplus the next day.
Justin Cave <jocave at mit.edu>

Join eyegive and help raise money for distributed.net
$6,500+ raised so far.
http://www.eyegive.com/html/ssi.cfm?CID=1098&MID=3199
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net