[RC5] SGI weird performance

Max MAX at newsmaker.net
Thu Jun 4 20:24:00 EDT 1998

Hi,

    I am running rc5 version 2 clients on various machines, and I found some unexpected statistics :

A Penitum II 300 Mhz gives around 800 000 k/sec

A Silicon Graphics Origin 2000 with four MIPS processor gives around 250 000 k/sec

A Silicon Graphics O2 R5000 gives around 140 000 k/sec

That's slower than a Pentium 120 Mhz (Around 160 000 k/sec).

Setting the processor usage on the client to 2 (normal priority) didn't change the numbers much.
I even tried to open more than one session on the Origin, but as every session started the original one decreased of around 15 000 k/sec.

Why are the SGI so slow ?? Other applications on them are way much faster than Intel machines ...

Many thanks
Max

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net