Lack of communication, was: Re: [RC5] Supspace 0x68

Richard Ellis rellis at erols.com
Fri Jun 5 01:26:04 EDT 1998

And once again we seem to have encountered the same old problem with d.net.
A severe lack of communication between the high elite and those of us in the
trenches.  Please refresh my memory, at what point BEFORE this occured were
we told it was going to happen, and I mean specifically, not the generic
statements of "about every 6 weeks we reissue a keyspace."  I want to know
which announcement specifically said:

"within the next x hours, we will begin to reissue 0x68 keyblocks"

I've checked my email archive of the announce messages, I can't find where
we were specifically told about this occurance.

This is the kind of information that we want (and need) to know, and that
many before myself have complained about not receiving from the d.net high
elite.  And even after all the bitching on this list about lack of
communication, and promises from the high elite to improve, we find that
they simply return to their same old ways.

And please don't use the same old tired excuse of "we are volunteers
spending our free time on this project and there's not enough of that to go
around." I have news for you, those of us in the trenches are also
"volunteers" and we are also "spending our free time on this project" and we
too generally do "not [have] enough of that to go around," yet somehow we
continue to find the time to run the clients and find new machinery to bring
into the project.  It takes all of about 30 seconds to type out an email to
the announce list with that single line above after the decision is made to
reissue a subspace.  Therefore the extra time for a little communication
between the elite and us in the trenches shouldn't keep anyone away from
anything.  And that 30 seconds spent would create far more good will towards
the project than the ill will created when we find out after the fact that a
switch occured but we were not told about it.

And finally, if indeed we were specifically informed and I just missed it
somehow (I'll admit it's possible, erols.com did have email server problems
early in the week) then please show me where it was and accept my apologies
ahead of time for this message.