[RC5] rc5 beta client warning

Mike Silbersack silby at execpc.com
Thu Jun 4 22:55:30 EDT 1998

On Thu, 4 Jun 1998 19:10:32 -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:

>The number corresponding to the HTTP encoding method has changed (from
>4 to 2, I believe).  This means that if you keep your .ini file around
>from the older versions, and if you use HTTP communications, your client
>won't be able to talk to the keyservers.

Actually, I should apologize for this.  Here's what changed:  The
option firemode= has been removed, since it was merely serving to set
uuehttpmode.  Now, uuehttpmode must be directly set.

>The fix is to run the client with the -config option and go through all
>the options.  The -config code is completely different now.  You'd better
>check everything just to be safe (in my case all I had to change was
>the HTTP encoding option, but you never know).  Then restart the client
>if it's already running.

Correct.  The menu option for changing your firewall mode now directly
modifies uuehttpmode.  Actually, the new -config will be rearranged
even more in the next beta, so don't get too used to it yet. ;-)

>"Daddy, why do those people have to    |   Greg Wooledge
>  use Microsoft Windows?"              |   wooledge at kellnet.com
>"Don't stare, son; it's not polite."   |   http://www.kellnet.com/wooledge/

Mike "Silby" Silbersack
silby at execpc.com
Distributed.Net Tech Support

We cracked RC5-56.  We cracked DES.  Can you help us with RC5-64?
Put your idle CPU to work:  Add it to the world's LARGEST computer.
http://www.distributed.net/

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net