[RC5] Recruiting new participants

Thomas Grewe Thomas.Grewe at strz.uni-giessen.de
Mon Jun 8 22:54:36 EDT 1998

Hi,

recently the question came up about how to get more coverage and more
participation. There were also some people mentioning, that cracking
codes is not a very attractive task. I think if there are some more
well-renowned non-profit organizations participants can vote/crack for
more people can be attracted. The non-profit organizations now available
are all somehow computer-orientated. Some people not so deep into
computing might be more willing to let a program run on their computers,
when they think that the possible price money would be donated to an
organizations, which tries to help "real" (non computer related)
problems or needs. I first thought about UNICEF.
(http://www.unicef.org/)
Slogans like "Let your computer help children in its sparetime" or
"What your computer can do against hunger" come into my mind.
I guess "the secretary sitting in front of the computer" would
be more willing to let a program run, which might help such a cause,
than for the other non-profit organizations.

Other organizations might be:
amnesty international: http://www.amnesty.org/
International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies:
http://www.ifrc.org/
Greenpeace: http://www.greenpeace.org

What do you think about that ?

Thomas Grewe