[RC5] How to Interpret Keyspace Plots, please?

Marc Sissom msissom at dnaent.com
Tue Jun 9 14:48:21 EDT 1998

Jim C. Nasby wrote:

> There are several reasons, but the biggest one is load on the master. As the
> master gets closer and closer to 100% on a keyspace, it becomes much more
> difficult for it to find keys that havn't already been handed out. So, we had
> to switch keyspaces at around the 80-90% point so that we weren't hammering
> the master.

Why not start another process that does a linear scan of the
key map and compiles a list or a queue of available blocks?

Why not stop the random issue algorithm anyway? Apparently all
it does is increase the load on the master.

> Again, it doesn't really mattered how the keys get handed out, since they all
> have the same probability of being THE key. :)

As long as we are short on disk space, memory, and cpu resources
in the master, then it still matters.
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net