[RC5] Recruiting new participants

Seth Bokelman sethb at iastate.edu
Tue Jun 9 15:59:30 EDT 1998

I agree that the prospect of using the cash generated by cracking codes for
non-profit organizations is an excellent way to recruit more involvement in
the program, but I, for one, don't necessarily want to read all the debate
in my mailing lists about the politics of the groups who may receive the
cash.  Take Greenpeace, while I have absolutely nothing against them, I'm
sure others will take offense at their methods, or somesuch, and I don't
wanna hear it. :)
	Also, I think that the few thousand dollars raised by our projects
can have a bigger impact on some of the smaller groups currently being
voted for by the participants.  For instance, $6000 for d.net could buy a
great new stats server, but for UNICEF, it's just another drop of water in
a budget as large as theirs.  That's not to say their work isn't important,
but I feel that "I" (and yes, I'm being selfish here) would see a bigger
impact on my life by niftier stats than I would by giving 6 grand to
UNICEF. :)
-Seth H. Bokelman