Lack of communication, was: Re: [RC5] Supspace 0x

gindrup at okway.okstate.edu gindrup at okway.okstate.edu
Mon Jun 15 14:59:41 EDT 1998

     Almost.  But what we need to know isn't when the first issue of a
     keyspace is going to occur, but when the *second* (or subsequent)
     issues of a keyspace will occur.  Second issues are *much* faster
     than first issues.  0x68 was almost completely reissued, completely
     negating the work of my off-line farm before I could flush a single
     block.

     Here are the things that need to be known by the off-line farms:
     1) When is a new subspace being opened.
        If we know this, we can fetch to the farm right then and thus
        maximize the "cud chewing" time on the farm.
     2) When is a subspace being reissued.
        If we know this, we can flush the buffers of blocks in that
        subspace as soon as the reissue alert is thrown.  This minimizes
        redundant cracking.

     Again, a point that's easy for the more technically oriented people
     who are in this effort to forget:  cracking tons of keys is not a
     technological issue; it's a people issue.  If people get demoralized
     in this effort, they'll leave.  I'm inclined to just kill off my
     off-line farm because it's "not sufficiently fulfilling" to keep it
     up.  I suppose I could be alone in this, but it seems a little
     unlikely.

     The "trick" is to get people to feel that they are accomplisihing
     something when they run the client.  Stacking the cards so that they
     are unlikely to do so will hurt participation.  When I run the
     client on my on-line machines, I feel that I'm doing something
     useful.  The difficulty of doing anything useful with the off-line
     clients reduces my desire to help the effort by running the off-line
     clients.

     D.Net needs every CPU is can get.  But, obviating their work is not
     the way to get them.
            -- Eric Gindrup ! gindrup at okway.okstate.edu