[RC5] CD Writing

David M. L. Karl dkarl at ameritech.net
Mon Jun 15 18:12:56 EDT 1998

I got my burner last August and have run both CLI and GUI versions of
the clients, at niceness 2, on a P5-90 with no problems at all.

Just thought I'd add that.

I have noticed, though, that the quality of certain brands of CD-R's has
been kinda low lately.  In case you didn't know, a blank CD-R really
isn't blank - in a nutshell it contains basic header information and
track 'guide' markings to tell the burner exactly how to write to the
disc -- some companies write this information quite well.  Others don't.

I've also noticed that the color of the dye on the cd makes a
difference.  HP's burners have typically performed poorly on gold cd's,
but well on green and blue (even HP tells you, stay away from gold
backs).  My burner, the first generation of Ricoh rewritables, has no
problem on any.  Apparently, some regular CD-ROM drives have trouble
reading green discs, but can do golds fine.  And we all know the
problems with DVD-I and burnt cd's.... ick

Anyway that's my 2 cents
-Dk

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net