[RC5] Upcoming DES contest

Mike Silbersack silby at execpc.com
Tue Jun 23 00:01:59 EDT 1998

On Mon, 22 Jun 1998 09:24:23 -0500, Marc Sissom wrote:

>Dave Avery wrote:
>>
>> NOTE: there will be NEW PPROXIES released by monday that will be
>> required for use with any client newer than 2.7100
>
>Will the new ones work with old clients?

Yes.  The changes are quite minor, no protocol/buffer file change.

>> well we got an unintentional test yesterday - a proxy got started with a bad
>> config file , and every client connecting to it did the switch :-)
>
>Really? What were the version numbers of all of those clients
>that were successfully 'tested'?

400+ will auto-detect the contest switch properly (if preferreddes=2).
(processdes=1 on 40(9?) or newer clients.)

>> we have a complete master-> proxy setup that we are using to test all the new builds
>
>What about old clients? Are you going to wait until I report 8K
>DES2-2 blocks missing from the stats before discovering a bug in
>the pproxy? That's what happenend the last time I upgraded a
>pproxy without testing it myself.

As I said above, the changes are minor, and won't break older clients.
The proxies used in des-ii-1 were admittedly rushed.  The small changes
made for them now have been tested, and work properly.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack
silby at execpc.com
Distributed.Net Tech Support

We cracked RC5-56.  We cracked DES.  Can you help us with RC5-64?
Put your idle CPU to work:  Add it to the world's LARGEST computer.
http://www.distributed.net/

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net