[RC5] Re: rc5-digest V1 #211

Joe Zbiciak j-zbiciak1 at ti.com
Tue Jun 23 17:14:44 EDT 1998

'Brice D. Fleckenstein' said previously:

| >It's a shame the K6 doesn't do the same thing, or that the
| >K5 never became available in anything over 133mhz (PR166).
|
|  Excuse me?
|
|  The AMD K5-166 (so-called PR166) DOES clock at 166 Mhz.

Please allow me to inject some raw facts into the discussion.  :-)

>From AMD's website  (http://www.amd.com/support/faqs/k5techfaqs.html):

    12. What are the bus speed breakdowns for the K5 processor ?

    The bus speed and clock multiplier breakdowns are as follows:

    PR-75  50mhz X 1.5  @3.52 volts
    PR-90  60Mhz X 1.5  @3.52 volts
    PR-100 66Mhz X 1.5  @3.52 volts
    PR-120 60Mhz X 1.5  @3.52 volts
    PR-133 66Mhz X 1.5  @3.52 volts
    PR-166 66Mhz X 1.75 @3.52 volts (Note: 1.75 is achieved by setting
                                     motherboard for 2.5)

So, what that gives me is this, for PR-rating vs. actual MHz:

    PR-rating      Clock rate
    PR-75             75 MHz    <-- PR == clock
    PR-90             90 MHz    <-- PR == clock
    PR-100            99 MHz    <-- PR == clock (approx)
    PR-120            90 MHz    <-- PR > clock
    PR-133            99 MHz    <-- PR > clock
    PR-166           116 MHz    <-- PR > clock

So, it would appear that the newer K5's run at a slower clock rate than
their PR numbers.  In the particular case of the PR-166, the motherboard
settings would suggest that the device is running at 166MHz, when in
actuality, it is running at 116MHz.

Now back to our regularly scheduled market hype and speculation.  ;-)

Regards,

--Joe

--
  +------- Joseph Zbiciak ------+
  |- - - j-zbiciak1 at ti.com - - -|  "The ability to quote is a serviceable
  | -Texas Instruments, Dallas- |   substitute for wit."
  |- - #include <disclaim.h> - -|                  -- W. Somerset Maugham
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net