[RC5] The recent crash.

Colin L. Hildinger colin at ionet.net
Tue Jun 23 20:54:50 EDT 1998

I remember you Seth.  :)

My idea is as follows:

Have three server levels:

1) Master
2) project keymasters
3) proxy keyservers

That way when we run DESII-3 etc (too late for II-2) and RC5-64 at the
same time, one box isn't doing all the work.  The servers would only
communicate straight up the chain *unless* the project keymaster wasn't
available.  They could then jump to the Master which would actually be
a full proxy keyserver for every ongoing project.  That way if, say,
the RC5 server was offline for an hour, the Master could have enough
blocks buffered to supply the proxies, but it wouldn't be high traffic
the rest of the time as it wouldn't be in the main proxy rotation.

On Tue, 23 Jun 1998 18:14:29 -0400, Seth Dillingham wrote:

>The master keyserver could just be written to only accept a certain
>number of connections at one time. That's much easier than making the
>proxies cooperate when the master keyserver can't be reached.
>
>While I think that *some* limit like this is probably a good idea,
>upgrading the key server is a good idea too. As d.net grows, it will
>naturally outgrow its equipment. The right answer isn't always "throwing
>money at it" or "installing new iron", but sometimes that *is* the right
>answer.
>
>Hmm. I wonder if anybody remembers me... sure has been a long time since
>I said anything around here. ;-)

Colin L. Hildinger

CRACK 64-bit RC5 WITH OS/2 NOW!
http://www.ionet.net/~colin/rc5.html