[RC5] Rack stuffed full of motherboards (follow-u

dan carter motion at es.co.nz
Wed Jun 24 15:57:21 EDT 1998

On Tue, 05 May 98 08:42:31 -0600, gindrup at okway.okstate.edu wrote:

>Oh, BTW, Price Watch indicates that AMD said as recently as a couple
>     of weeks ago that you could get K5-166s from AMD.  Hmm...  Since I
>     recall (oh dear) that this chip is '486 pin-compatible, the only
>     problem is finding '486 mobos that accept 30-pin SIMMs and *that's*
>     not so improbable.

486 30 pin MBs sure aint too difficult, however, 486 pincompatible K5s are very improbable. The K5s i have seen are pentium
pin compatible.

You're probably thinking of the 5x86. The K5 was sometimes refered to as the 5K86.

The 5x86 was pin comptabile with a 486. In fact the 5x86-PR75 was basically a 486DX5 (clock quadtrupled) 133Mhz chip with
writeback cache.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net