[RC5] distributed.everything

GMH13 at aol.com GMH13 at aol.com
Wed Jun 24 00:34:05 EDT 1998

  As I write this I'm currently downloading 32 MB of demo software.  I can't
browse the internet, as the downloading is hogging all of my bandwidth.  I
also can't browse because netscape will sometimes crash will browsing and
downloading.  And as I sit here looking at the "three hours left," I'm
thinking, "wouldn't it be great if someone did for our modems what
distributed.net has done for our cpu."
  What if someone wrote a program that would download large files in the
background, letting the web browser grab its data when it needed to?  Want to
download all those nice demos?  Just copy the url into the program.  Whenever
you're not using your modem, such as when you're reading this email, the
program would download the large files.  Once a file was finished, it would be
stored into a certain directory and the next file would be started.  No longer
would our bandwidth go to waste.
  Now, since we all love d.net and the program I'm talking about is really a
d.modem, the two could be bundled together.  There was talk of putting a d.net
client into other software, and this would be a nice place to start.  If this
program has already been written or can't be written, please let me know.  If
not, who wants to write it?  It shouldn't be difficult at all for the
programmers participating in d.net :)

PS  Another thought:  someone should set up a contest (no money involved, just
honor and glory) to guess the time (day, hour, minute) des2 is cracked

Greg Hogan
GMH13 at aol.com
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net