[RC5] Beta and proper way to set up multiple clients?

gindrup at okway.okstate.edu gindrup at okway.okstate.edu
Wed Jun 24 17:09:51 EDT 1998

     Run the client on the server.  Locate all buffers on the server.
     Make two different .INI files.  Make the shortcut you use to run the
     *server's* copy have the non-default name for the INI file in the
     command line.  If you don't want the server dialing at odd times,
     set it to lurk or lurkonly.  Set the in-buff big enough to feed the
     team of clients and the server for whatever length of time usually
     passes between ISP connections.  Set the out-buff to clear out about
     once per day.  Every month or so, after a flush, delete the in-buff.

     In the default INI file, set the clients to always run offline.
     Have the clients use a shortcut to the server's copy of the file.
     They'll never try to dial again.

     If you want to suspend operation of the client on each machine,
     create a file (contents are irrelevant) called "exitrc5.now" in the
     directory the clients (and server) run the client from.  This will
     (rather quickly) suspend operations of all the clients (to let
     month-end processing run) without having to visit every machine.
     Deleting the file *should* let all the clients start back up, but
     I've not seen a promise to that effect and have not tested it.

     With this setup, you have the following properties:

     Only the server dials out; no client tries to do so.  All the
     clients, but not the server, use default settings and so can be
     upgraded to newer versions of the client more transparently.  All
     client operations can be suspended from a single point of
     administration.

     Caveat:
     To control exitfile polling (checking for that exitrc5.now file) so
     that it occurs as frequently as you want, remember that each check
     for the file requires a packet or two across the LAN.  If you have
     many clients, you may wish to keep the exitfile checking frequency
     down.
            -- Eric Gindrup ! gindrup at okway.okstate.edu