[RC5] Rack stuffed full of motherboards (follow-u

John Campbell jcampbel at lynn.ci-n.com
Thu Jun 25 15:03:09 EDT 1998

On Wed, 24 Jun 1998 bleh at mindless.com wrote:

> I've never seen a P5 with 30-pin SIMM slots, and I have a 486 with 72-pin
> SIMMs.  However, during the switch from 30- to 72-pin SIMMs they used to
> make these little plastic adapter things that let you put four 30-pin SIMMs
> into one 72-pin slot.  I don't think they were expensive, might not be a
> bad idea.

	I recently acquired one of those. I don't use it for anything
because it won't fit into any machine I own without banging into the power
supply or the drive bays.

	That aside, with memory prices being what they are, you could buy
a pair of 16M 72-pin SIMMs for what the adapters were priced for last I saw
one for sale (a couple months ago). They've never been cost-effective and
have become less so because 72-pin SIMMs are getting cheaper while 30-pin
SIMMs seem to have hit rock-bottom.

---
John Campbell
jcampbel at lynn.ci-n.com