[RC5] RE: rc5-digest V1 #213

John Poznicek johnpoz at enteract.com
Sat Jun 27 18:14:42 EDT 1998

Why aren't you running a personal proxy??

It would solve basically all your problems.  All your machines are on your
network using TCP/IP  Just set up the clients to point to the IP of the
machine running the perproxy.

Set the perproxy up on a machine that has access to the net through the
firewall.  Then you can basically forget about it, except to check on it now
and then, to make sure its still up and running.  If you check your stats
now and then - you'll notice if something has gone wrong!

You might also want to switch to the win95 hidden client, Vs the GUI -
install as a service.  a a lot less hassle for remote boxes.

If you have any specific questions - feel free to email me!

You can grab the perproxy at;

http://www.distributed.net/rc5/proxies.html

a couple of tools to help are available here;

For machines running NT this is very helpful for installing the service
remotely!

http://www.vortex.is/~mlm/

And checkout;

http://www.csfi.com/~paul/

for a proxy monitor - to keep track of your machines, i.e. are they turning
in blocks, etc..

L8r,

John Poznicek ( AKA Bud_Man )
http://www.distributed.net - Undernet Chess Team, #2349
<johnpoz at enteract.com>
---
(A peaceful place or so it looks from space, A closer look reveals the human
race.)

PGP Key ID 57692025 Use Key Servers for key - or email me
Key fingerprint =  4153 2F61 51CA 7B1C 4B07  88E1 068F F2EB 3158 CAC8
---