[RC5] "sexy" projects

lunaslide lunaslyd at pacbell.net
Sun Mar 1 13:49:37 EST 1998

At 11:17 PM 3/1/98 +0200, you wrote:
>Frank Rival wrote:
>> I vote we go for it.  All we should need to
>> do is wrap the communication layer around the current GARSP core and
>> build for the prospective clients (obviously making changes to all the
>> keyservers and proxies...) and something should be ready.  Did I make
>> that sound easy enough?
>
>Before compiling GARSP to trial run in UltraSparc, I browsed through
>it's source code. Code was quite neat and easily understood - I believe
>it wouldn't take much work to insert the GARSP "module" into d.net
>clients. I also vote that d.net should check possibilities in OGR
>project.
>
>There is one big "con" in existing OGR clients. They demand a huge
>choose.dat file. I'm using a 20 bit/map variant sized 11.5 megs. One can
>either download existing choose.dat file from OGR pages or create such
>himself - I think if we would go in OGR project, the choose.dat creation
>code should be inserted into client.

It also sounds like RAM usage is pertinent to the project, unlike with the
encryption cracking projects.  There should be an option for choosing how
much memory use is allowed to be used.  Better yet, RAM usage in the client
would depend upon usage by other programs at the time, just as processor
time does.  Perhaps a percentage of available physical memory could be
specified in the configuration.

lunaslide           *          PGP key->pgpkeys.mit.edu port 11371
Ah, the good old days when things were crap.               *
*             *           *     -The Passenger       *        *
Get active now.  Join Bovine.  Crack RC5 and other weak encryption
to protect your privacy.  http://www.distributed.net/rc5/
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net