[RC5] "sexy" projects

Colin Green colin at zuyuva.demon.co.uk
Sun Mar 1 22:50:27 EST 1998

In message <199802281437.JAA14101 at chipsworld.llamas.net>, Greg Hewgill
<gregh at lightspeed.net> writes

>>Mathematical discoveries are not only international, but universal!
>
>This is why my primary project is Mersenne primes, with other mathematical
>projects such as Golomb rulers close behind. Frankly, I'm getting a little
>bored with decryption. I was introduced to large scale distributed
>computing
>with the DESChall project, then moved to Mersenne primes after it
>completed.

>When DES-II came around, I fired up the d.net DES client on all my
>machines,
>suspending the Mersenne prime client. Now I'm back on Mersenne primes,

I have followed much the same path as yourself. Discovering d.net during
RC5-56, switching to Mersenne primes, then to DES-II and now mainly back
to Mersenne.

I would like to think that I am contributing to something real, not just
endless searching for keys that have no practical purpose. Now that I
know of a Golomb ruler search I may also drop Mersenne primes when I
finish my cuurent search.

There was also a brief mention of evolutionary computing some time ago
now.  This basically applies to a wide range of problems where there are
many near-optimal solutions which can be found in a key space. These
near-optimal solutions are good enough for practical purposes and
require far less CPU cycles to find.   eg. I did some work on evolving
timetables 2 years ago now. I guess it would also be applicable to
Golomb rulers, but far less satisfying to having THE optimal solution.

See ya,

Colin D. Green
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net