[RC5] Switching over problems?

Mike Silbersack silby at execpc.com
Mon Mar 2 08:03:16 EST 1998

On Sun, 01 Mar 1998 20:59:23 -0800, Casey Muller wrote:

>My email logs show some of my computers still working on DES... often
>times it claims to have done blocks in a second or two, but sometimes they
>are listed as taking as much as 3 hours for 12 blocks... Which blocks the
>client is working on seems to alternate... it'll do 12 (my buffer size)
>DES, then 12 RC5, and keep switching back and forth.
>
>Thanks,
>Casey

The best way to make sure this stops happening is to set Threshold2 (the DES buffer size) to 0:0 - the problem you're
experiencing is that the client doesn't make a proper switch back to rc5 if the buffer size was less than 32.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack
silby at execpc.com
Distributed.Net Tech Support

We cracked RC5-56.  We cracked DES.  Can you help us with RC5-64?
Put your idle CPU to work:  Add it to the world's LARGEST computer.
http://www.distributed.net/
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net