[RC5] Re: OGR

V. Alex Brennen alexb at ufl.edu
Mon Mar 2 08:42:04 EST 1998

Louis Florit wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Feb 1998, Jason Bechtel wrote:
> > As one who is interested in Astronomy and Astrophysics I am probably
> > biased.  Please let me know how the rest of the D.Net community feels
> > about OGRs.
> >
> Jason, for those of us who are laymen (me), could you please describe what
> an OGR is, and its application?  You mentioned something about astronomy
> and astrophysics, but not much more besides how big a problem it could be.
>
> LFB

There would not be a great deal of benefit to finding a new 21 mark
OGR.  There already exists a 21 mark GR with a length of 332(?) spaces.
This ruler, along with many other known rulers can be applied to all the
same problems that OGR-21 could be applied to.  (OGRs can be applied to phased
radio telescope arrays, however they don't determine the exact positions of
the telescopes.)

We're working on setting up a client server system to run OGR stubs on
our systems.  Our interest in the OGR21 search is the ease of porting
the problem to a generic parallel distributed processing system.  Aside
from the standard search code, there is also PVM based code available.

I'm happy to compare notes and share info with anyone that's interested.

   - Alex
---
V. Alex Brennen  [alexb at ufl.edu]
Web Applications Programmer