[RC5] "sexy" projects

Frank Rival ops at dwc.edu
Mon Mar 2 09:39:48 EST 1998

Jason Bechtel wrote:

> Kalle Tuulos wrote:
> > There is one big "con" in existing OGR clients. They demand a
> > huge choose.dat file. I'm using a 20 bit/map variant sized
> > 11.5 megs. One can either download existing choose.dat file
> > from OGR pages or create such himself - I think if we would go
> > in OGR project, the choose.dat creation code should be
> > inserted into client.
>
>    I was unaware of this.  Thank you for pointing it out.  This would
> certainly rule out running the client from a standard floppy!
> Fortunately, computers that will not be able to accommodate the
> choose.dat file (it is necessary, isn't it?) can still work on RC5,
> DES II-2 and other projects as they come along.  This should only be a
> problem for a very small number of participants.

	It is possible to use a choose.dat file that is only 0.7 Meg (the 16
bit version).  We could probably have the memory usage as part of the
initial configuration option, defaulted to the smallest available.  The
only problem with generating the choose.dat file is that it (according
to the page) could take from hours to days depending on how many bits
you are using.  This would probably be a great problem to tackle with
the distributed filesystem of v3.  But...that doesn't help the problem
right now.  Hmmm...time to get to the drawing board...

 - Pete
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net