[RC5] OGRs meet D.Net, was "sexy" projects

gindrup at okway.okstate.edu gindrup at okway.okstate.edu
Mon Mar 2 10:19:19 EST 1998

     Hmm...  An off the top of my head OGR mini FAQ.

     Definitions:
     A ruler is a collection (without repetitions) of positive integers.
     This collection is to be interpreted as the series of positions of
     marks on a real, wood (or metal) ruler.  For example. {0, 19,4,15}
     represents a ruler with four marks at 0, 4, 15, and 19 (inches,
     centimeters, parsecs, whatever unit you like) units.
     By convention, the first mark of a ruler is at 0.  This has no
     effect on OGRs which only care about relative positions of marks.

     (There is a different way of representing rulers where you record
     the distances between successive marks.  This representation isn't
     any easier or harder to use than the one given.  In fact, the one
     can be generated from the other in o(kn) time, where k is the
     (average) time to load a register and do a subtraction.)

     A "n-mark ruler" is a ruler of n (distinct) integers.  The above
     ruler is a 4-mark ruler.

     The set of measurements of a ruler is the (multi-)set of distances
     between each pair of (not necessarily adjacent) marks (without
     repetitions).  For example, using the 4-mark ruler above, the set of
     measurements is {4, 15, 19, 11, 15, 4}.
     The set of distinct measurements is the set of measurements with
     repetitions removed.  Using our example, the set of distinct
     measurements is {4, 11, 15, 19}, notice that the distance between
     the marks at 0 and 15 is the same as the distance between the marks
     at 4 and 19, but we only count that difference (15) once.

     A Golomb ruler (GR) is any ruler whose set of measurements is the
     same as its set of distinct measurements.  Our example is not a GR.
     {0, 1, 3} is a GR, since its set of measurements is {1, 2, 3} (i.e.,
     contains no repetitions).

     One can make many GRs with differing numbers of marks.  In fact, the
     ruler with marks at 0 and (2^n)+1 for n=0 to k is a k+2-mark GR.
     (Each successive mark is farther from any other mark than any other
     pair of marks is.)

     So, let's imagine we had a collection of all 5-mark GRs in a bag.
     Which one is the shortest?

     An Optimal GR of n-marks (OGR-n) is the shortest n-mark GR.
     Here is a short table of OGRs:
     OGR- 1    0   {0}
     OGR- 2    1   {0,1}
     OGR- 3    3   {0,1,3}
     OGR- 4    6   {0,1,4,6}
     OGR- 5   11   {0,1,4,9,11} and {0,2,7,8,11}
     OGR- 6   17   {0,1,4,10,12,17} and 3 others
     OGR- 7   25   {0,1,4,10,18,23,25} and 4 others
     OGR- 8   34   ...
     OGR- 9   44
     OGR-10   55
     OGR-11   72
     OGR-12   85
     OGR-13  106
     OGR-14  127
     OGR-15  151
     OGR-16  177
     OGR-17  199
     OGR-18  216
     OGR-19  246
     OGR-20  283
     OGR-21    ?  (<= 332)
     OGR-22    ?  (<= 358)
     OGR-23    ?  (<= 372)
     OGR-24    ?  (<= 425)

     Notice that OGRs are not unique for 5 or more marks.  They are never
     *actually* unique because the mirror image of an OGR is an OGR.  It
     is a convention that of the two, the one with the smaller second
     mark is listed.  (Thus, {0,1,3} and not {0,2,3} for OGR-3.)

     The important property of a GR for applications is that no pair of
     marks is the same distance apart as a different pair of marks.  For
     radio astronomy, this means that an array of telescopes ranged out
     at the marks of a GR collect maximum interferometric data (due to
     lack of phase correlationscaused by matched spatial separations).
     If they're arrayed on an OGR, they do the same thing, but take up
     the least amount of space.

     This spatial decorrelation has been used in the X-ray diffraction
     analysis of crystal structures.

     Distribution of radio transmission bandwidth based on OGRs can
     reduce 3rd order intermodulation interference.  A few modifications
     can also remove 5th order interference.

     OGRs's measurement sets can be used to generate self-orthogonal
     (error correcting) codes.

     Pulse Phase Modulation communications use OGRs to maximize signal
     correlation (to the correct desired decoding) while minimizing pulse
     sequence lengths.

     Open Questions:
     Except for a pair of OGR-6's are there (other) pairs of OGRs with
     different (non-mirror image) marks but the same set of measurements?
      Professor Golomb has offered an award for the production of a pair
     of same-difference-set non-mirror image OGRs of $100.

     What are the best upper and lower bounds on the length of OGR-n
     (when OGR-n is not explicitly known)?

     Do OGRs represent "fixed points" of some algebraic structure?
            -- Eric Gindrup ! gindrup at okway.okstate.edu