[RC5] "sexy" projects

Martin format at mindless.com
Mon Mar 2 15:17:26 EST 1998

Mark Garry, the guy who wrote most of it (MarkGarry at aol.com), I assume could
tell you all you wanted to know about it.
"Well... its a long story.  Golomb rulers are used to place sensors in optimal

locations to maximize the information about the phase information received.
For instance, radio telescopes should not be placed randomly to each other's
locations but rather should be spced out to maximize their combined ability to

discern radio information received.  I read about this in Scientific American
and got interested because they seemed to be using a very poor algorithm to
find the "rulers".  With others help, I now have a program that is about 10
times faster than any other previous program, and about 1000 times faster than

any other *publicly available* program was.  But it still requires massive CPU

effort.  So we created an internet project where we "dole out" sub-sections of

the entire project.  We let people work on their subsections as long as they
need/want (well, the practical limit is 6-8 weeks before we ask for a status
report).  We dole out "stubs" or "sub-stubs" which are really the locations of

the first 3 marks (i.e., antenna's) or 4 marks for sub-stubs, and ask you to
run the search to see if an optimal golomb ruler exists with that starting set

of marks.  We are now looking for the shortest 21 mark golomb ruler.  There is

a 333 length ruler, so we have limited our search to 332 or less."
-Mark Garry