[RC5] First impressions

Paul Ross paul at pilat.com
Mon Mar 2 23:23:26 EST 1998

General moan at top of email, more specific questions at end :)

Forgive me for sounding naive, but I am :) I stumbled across the actual
workings of d.net a couple of days ago, being familiar with the concept for
some time, and got quite excited about actually being able to be part of this.
 Having three P133s, a P266, a P300 and very shortly two more P333's available
- each with about 80% idle processor time - I felt I could contribute a fair
whack to the project. So hi ho, downloaded, installed and let's see what
happens.

A couple of times, the list has mentioned attracting new people to the project.
How this 'sexy' project would attract more participants, therefore even the
non-sexy projects would benefit in the long run, etc, etc. Has anyone thought
about scaring people off, though?

Someone (I deleted the mail, I forget who - sorry) has already brought up
something I'd noticed straight away - how even though the DES contest was over,
their machine was still downloading and cracking DES blocks. A tad worried that
my servers were plugging away for nothing, I tried the stats pages, to see if
I'd made a dent - result? Stats pages offline.

vvv relevant bits vvv

Now I realise that I may have joined this project at an unsteady time, in that
the DES key has 'only just' been cracked, and the switch back to the original
project is still ongoing. Is this the case? If so, how about a couple of more
user friendly pages on the web site, explaining such? I'm sure there's at least
a few people who've looked over the site and thought 'naaaah. Too much hassle.'
when trying to make sense of the information held within.

Then, of course, that brings up another question, maybe one more suited to
debate than a general moan over the quality of the website ;) Does d.net want
to recruit people who are likely to delete the software halfway through a
keyblock and never return the results, leaving that block to wait until the
re-issue at the end?

Another question, based on issuing blocks - how is it allocated...start at the
beginning and continue until the end, then stop? I know the correct key is
chosen at random, but averages are it'll be more towards the middle than either
end...you can guess where I'm heading.

Discussion invited, flames to be directed to my personal address :)

I know I'm a lengthy soab, but it's just my way of saying 'hi' ;)

Rossy

...sig follows...take cover...
London, UK. It's a great place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live here.
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net