[RC5] Golomb Rulers (was "sexy" projects)

ZenCrawler ZenCrawler at aol.com
Mon Mar 2 20:40:25 EST 1998

<< Greg Hewgill wrote:

 > >Jason Bechtel wrote:
 > >Kalle Tuulos wrote:
 > >> There is one big "con" in existing OGR clients. They demand a
 > >> huge choose.dat file.

-snip-

 > It's not strictly *necessary* to use a large choose.dat file, or even to
 > use one at all. Depending on how much memory you are willing to give up to
 > the search client, you can use a choose.dat ranging from 700k to nearly 100
 > MB (clearly unsuitable for ordinary floppies!). You can probably generate
 > an even smaller choose.dat file too. To avoid using choose.dat altogether,
 > you can use the older (and slower) "gvant" program, which has a very small
 > disk and memory footprint (a few tens of K on disk, a few hundred K in
 > memory).
 Will the client w/ the 11.5 MB need a lot of memory? >>

>From what I can tell now that I have joined the Golumb team the client with
the 11.5mb choose.dat file requires around 12mb of memory.   It seems that the
client loads the choose.dat file up into ram to perform the tests.   Another
thing I've seen on the web page is that you can only find the ruler from the
bitlevel of the choose.dat file or  below that.   So the 20bit choose.dat file
means you can't resolve the 23bit dataset.   Since I have a relatively new PC
with lots of ram ( 256mb to be exact )  I've just  downloaded the 23 bit
length choose.dat which is put into a 98meg chunk of memory.   According to
tests on the golumb web page I should see a mild improvement in my node
solution speed.   If you have any more questions about the golumb ruler search
i'd say visit the web page at:  <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/golomb20/">
http://members.aol.com/golomb20/</A>
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net