[RC5] Golomb Rulers (was "sexy" projects)

Adam Polanski adam at programmer.net
Mon Mar 2 21:06:09 EST 1998

Well, after looking through the code for GARSP,GVANT and choose. I have some
points to make, which may answer some questions.
The choose.dat file is necessary for speed using GARSP. A small 16 bit file
could be generated in memory in a relatively small amount of time, this
could be an option to save disk space. Also a far as I can see, it can be
generated incrementally, getting larger over several sessions (or time).
This way a client could generate a larger choose.dat when they want to speed
up the program. Also for machines on networks, the choose.dat can be shared.
This has the possibility of one machine on a network generating a larger
choose.dat, while other machines use the largest available. A garsp client
doesn't have to use a whole choose.dat if memory requirements are tight.
I can't see a good reason for dropping down to GVANT to save disk space. A
GARSP client could easily include choose.dat generation code would probably
be less than 60k.
Oh, and as others have said, I also dont believe converting GARSP to be a v3
client would be too much of an undertaking (pending more info on v3).

Adam Polanski