[RC5] Golomb Rulers (was "sexy" projects)

Greg Hewgill gregh at lightspeed.net
Mon Mar 2 20:57:31 EST 1998

Charles P. Wright wrote:
>ZenCrawler wrote:
>> In a message dated 98-03-02 19:10:39 EST, you write:
>>  Will the client w/ the 11.5 MB need a lot of memory? >>
>>
>> From what I can tell now that I have joined the Golumb team the client
with
>> the 11.5mb choose.dat file requires around 12mb of memory.
>
>This seems like a Bad Thing(tm) I have a decent system with 32 MB of ram
>and X can take up to 20 or 30 (with lots of netscape windows) it seems
>like a very bad idea to have a client that would cause so much swapping
>and performance degradation.

Yes, the choose.dat is loaded into memory. If you are using the 11.5 MB
version, it will load 11.5 MB of data into memory. Now, you don't have to
use the large choose.dat file; there is a 700K version that only takes 700K
of memory. The point is if you have the memory to spare, you can make the
program run faster by using the larger files. If you don't want to give up
the RAM, the program still runs, but at a slightly slower speed. This is a
typical speed/space tradeoff that is very common in computing.
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net