[RC5] Dave McNett's note of 2-24 on distributed.net

RC5 Encryption Effort rc5 at squash.inlink.com
Tue Mar 3 10:33:39 EST 1998

On Tue, 3 Mar 1998, lunaslide wrote:
> Religious wars do no good.  But Macs are a word of mouth thing, where as
> you have to be unconscious not to be aware of M$.  Like the G3 I saw
> running Windows 95 faster than my Pentium 233 MMX at work :-)

Quite true, the PPc seems to have a big advantage in integer math, and
8-16 bit computations. I haven't seen any data regarding it's performance
in 32 bit areas, but I'm sure if I leave the Intel side it will be to
Alpha.

> You're right.  Stats are more important.  It's not like it's not obvous
> which processor is faster.

Stats are very important, thats for sure, but remember they show
performance on a very limited scale. Many PC users don't give a hoot about
client speed comparisons beyond the scope of distributed.net, because it
is all integer math; modern OSs for x86 (Unix/NT) dont emphasise heavily
on these functions of the processor :) By no means can you use a benchmark
of such a limited program to determine processor speeds in anything other
then that program.

> lunaslide           *          PGP key->pgpkeys.mit.edu port 11371
> Ah, the good old days when things were crap.               *
> *             *           *     -The Passenger       *        *
 Things still are crap.
		- Me

- Josh
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net