[RC5] Golomb Rulers (was "sexy" projects)

Roy Wilson emperor at slic.com
Tue Mar 3 12:17:37 EST 1998

On Mon, 2 Mar 1998 21:17:26 -0800, Greg Hewgill wrote:

>Roy Wilson wrote:
>> The effort is based on AOL, what can you expect?  The clients are
>>nice, but in comparison to the d.net setup, they're stone-age crude.
>

>I'm sure I won't be the first to point this out, but this is an unfair
>generalization. Mark Garry (the OGR-21 coordinator) has done a fantastic
>job of writing most of the gvant and garsp client code, coordinating the
>efforts of the 100 or so current contributors, generating statistics every
>couple of days, and doing whatever else he does to make it all work. His
>choice of internet service provider is irrelevant.

Roy:

	You've missed the point.  Yes, Mark is doing a great job
distributing stubs, tossing SEND.TXT files, etc...  BY HAND.  AOL isn't
(and never will be) setup to handle a distributed effort on the server,
such as d.net's method.

	Yeah, it *works* via email distribution, but it *could* be fully
automated.  Except on AOL.  That's their *policy*, they aren't about to
change it.

Roy Wilson <emperor at slic.com> <ICQ 8094267>
Lat: 44.850959 Lon: -74.40286 [+/- 6']
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net