SMP'ing non-Intel x86 CPU's, was Re: [RC5] First impressions

Matt Chatterley matt at mpc.dyn.ml.org
Tue Mar 3 17:15:25 EST 1998

On Tue, 3 Mar 1998, BMM wrote:

> Does anyone know the skinny on SMP'ing non-Intel processors?  AMD's
> website doesn't mention it and I hear very conflicting reports elsewhere.
> I imagine a dual-k6 would give P2 a run for the money, both price and
> performance-wise.

The last time I did a price check, a single K6-233 CPU was UKP 125, while
a single PII-233 was UKP 250. This means quite literally two-for-one. I
also have (unofficial!) reports that linux runs very well on K6 (faster
than on an equivalent PII), although they are allegedly a little slower on
floating point operations.

I couldn't find information on SMP'ing non Intel CPUs on AMD's site
either. From the other bits and bobs I hear (for instance, AMD have a very
good reputation for quality, as far as I know), K6 certainly beats pII in
my opinions.

--
Regards,
	-Matt Chatterley