[RC5] First Impressions

Jeff Weston westonje at engr.orst.edu
Tue Mar 3 08:49:01 EST 1998

At 12:07 AM 3/3/98 -0500, you wrote:

>Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 23:23:26 -0000
>From: Paul Ross <paul at pilat.com>
>Subject: [RC5] First impressions
>
>Another question, based on issuing blocks - how is it allocated...start at
the
>beginning and continue until the end, then stop? I know the correct key is
>chosen at random, but averages are it'll be more towards the middle than
either
>end...you can guess where I'm heading.

	I had heard from somewhere that D.Net starts at the front and works it's
way to the back. This seemed the case with DES 2. There should be no
difference in what order we decide to search the keyspace, as the key can
be *anywhere*, not just near the middle. Look at DES 2.

	There is one potential problem with searching from start to end. It could
be possible for someone with this knowledge about D.Net to organize a
contest and purposefully pick a key near the end. I'm not saying this has
been done, or ever will be done, but it is possible.

	I would think that searching the keyspace randomly is a lot more *sexy*
anyways, than simply trudging through it sequentially... :)
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net