[RC5] Golomb Rulers (was "sexy" projects)

Peter Rival ops at dwc.edu
Tue Mar 3 11:42:24 EST 1998

Roy Wilson wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Mar 1998 22:47:00 -0500, Chris Johnson wrote:
>
> >> The effort is based on AOL, what can you expect?
> >
> >What does that mean, exactly? I know the web site is hosted by AOL,
> >but what does "based on AOL" mean?
>
>         The same as saying this list is based on llamas.net.  The
> "what can you expect" is that AOL isn't the right type of system for
> any distributed effort.  I'm getting stubs that take a minimum of a
> week because AOL requires them to distribute everything via
> human-generated email.  If they were able to set up direct connect
> distribution ala d.net, the effort would go *much* faster by allowing
> all participants to use shorter stubs, updated automagically.

	Just as a note, the last time I got email from Mark Garry (yesterday,
to be exact) he said they were about a week away from implementing an
automated stub distributor.  I don't know too many details about how
it's going to work, but I'm sure we'll soon find out.  It wasn't so much
that AOL was forcing this method, just the time needed to program the
whole thing was better spent optimizing the client (what a novel idea!)
When this whole thing gets going I'll try to let everyone know what's
up.

 - Pete
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net