[RC5] First impressions

gindrup at okway.okstate.edu gindrup at okway.okstate.edu
Tue Mar 3 13:56:01 EST 1998

     There are multiple issues.

     Returning duped blocks is irrelevant since the duped-block "attack"
     late in RC5-56.  Duped blocks are now ignored.

     All keys in all blocks will be eventually cracked by the brute force
     method employed by D.Net.  If the key is out there, it will be
     found.

     If there are time limits involving money, it is also preferable to
     reduce the turnaround time for blocks so that the probability that a
     cracked winning key is sitting in an out-buff when one of the limits
     expires is minimized.

     The long recent discussion was about the (putative) effect that very
     large in-buffs have for increasing the block turnaround time.  Both
     camps were effectively told to drop it by our recently departed List
     Dad.