[RC5] First Impressions

gindrup at okway.okstate.edu gindrup at okway.okstate.edu
Tue Mar 3 17:52:20 EST 1998

     It has previously been suggested that servers use a perfect hash to
     turn sequential block numbers into wildly non-sequential block
     numbers.  This would require no more bookkeeping than the current
     method and large strips of hashes could be precomputed during
     "quieter" times.

     The question about block assignment ordering was answered (by me at
     least) a little while ago for the three contests to date.  (Of
     course, I saw my reply twice so I'm wondering whose mail system is
     wonked.)
            -- Eric Gindrup ! gindrup at okway.okstate.edu