[RC5] Re: rc5-digest V1 #159

Gandalf Greyhame Gandalf at adelphia.net
Tue Mar 3 20:24:03 EST 1998

At 12:13 PM 3/2/98 -0500, you wrote:
>> Does anyone know the skinny on SMP'ing non-Intel processors?  AMD's
>> website doesn't mention it and I hear very conflicting reports elsewhere.
>> I imagine a dual-k6 would give P2 a run for the money, both price and
>> performance-wise.

I emailed AMD a while back to see about building a dual K6 system. They
said that their processors do NOT have SMP support, etc, which makes a dual
system very bad.

Besides, who would want a K6? Sure, they're about the same as a PII under
Windoze95, however, under a "real" OS (WindowsNT comes pretty close) the
PIIs scream past the K6's. I imagine the same for Unixes, however I have
not read any reports on Penitum clones running x86-Unixes.
(FYI, I'm on a PII-233 under WindowsNT / FreeBSD / Windows98 and NT goes
faster than Win98. 2nd processor hopefully on the way soon - D.Net clients
have multiprocessor optimized cores, right?)

Oh, I don't have a clue about Cyrix, etc.

		-Gandalf
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net