[RC5] Server Interface (request)

Greg Wooledge wooledge at kellnet.com
Tue Mar 3 21:04:18 EST 1998

Richard Marsden (rmarsden at digicon-egr.co.uk) wrote:

> I don't know if this has been suggested before, but some of our team
> members would really
> benefit from an email interface to the keyservers.

Someone with a dedicated 'Net connection could set this up without any
knowledge of the keyservers or the client code.

Set up a dedicated e-mail address which will filter incoming mail (most
likely using procmail or qmail).  Extract the attached buff-out.rc5 file
from the message (perhaps with metamail), drop it in a temp directory, and
create a .ini file containing the e-mail address of the original sender.
Make a symlink to the client off in its "real" directory, and run it
with -update.  When that's complete, bundle up the buff-in.rc5 file,
attach it to an outgoing message (mutt can do that) and send it back to
the original sender.  Then clean up the temp dir.

The real issue is trust -- the person running this would have to be as
trustworthy as any of the proxy keyserver operators.

--
"Daddy, why do those people have to    |   Greg Wooledge
  use Microsoft Windows?"              |   wooledge at kellnet.com
"Don't stare, son; it's not polite."   |   http://www.kellnet.com/wooledge/
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net