[RC5] First impressions

dan carter motion at es.co.nz
Wed Mar 4 16:51:17 EST 1998

On Tue, 3 Mar 1998 17:24:55 +0000 (GMT), Matt Chatterley wrote:

>> Dual K6? AMD says the K6 won't work in a multiprocessor configuration!
>> Might want to question the person selling this to you :) This is why I
>> sai To Hell With Them All and put together a dual Pro setup :)
>
>Hmm, I was under the impression that they would (whereas K5 would not). Ah
>well. So much for what seems to be a good deal. :) Given this, I'll be
>looking quite seriously into DEC/alpha as an alternative, I think. :P

The K6 and Cyrix chips DO support multiprocessing.
However they use a different 'protocol' than do the intel chips. IIRC it's called openpic.
The catch is there are no motherboards/chipsets available that support openpic.
There were rumors a few months ago that someone was bringing out a chipset to support it, but nothing has surfaced that im aware of.
Im sure someone like VIA could make allot of money if they did implement it. Imagine that, a dual K6-233 for less than a PII, it's enough to go out and buy OS/2 Warp SMP....
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net